Tuesday 10 January 2017





           Hi,
                 I am Suresh, a student of pearl academy ( Design school in India). I am writing this blog on the folk art movement in India. Folk art generally means the art that produced from an indegenionous culture or by originatig from different tribespeople. As students, we are taught to associate with indigenous peoples and ancient ideas.
             Last week I had a walk through Delhi Craft & Handloom Museam (http://nationalcraftsmuseum.nic.in/) and Delhi Haat. I have been to museums before but the experience this time was different. I was a keen observer and not just an ignorant tourist. I observed, studied and was fascinated by the differnt kinds of folk art, crafts, and the handlooms from different parts of India.
           Every art has its own style, materials and has its own stories behind their rituals, their gods, their lifestyles and different esthetics's. Few art works like Phad art (Rajasthan), Warli Art (Maharastra), Tantra (Rajasthan), Chittara (Karnataka) are memorble. Apart from that there were lots of crafts and craft people, they were working on the spot and selling their craft work. People from Madhya Pradesh were performing folk dances and singing their own folk song. There was a huge number of different tribal houses from diferent states of India. It was a great experience to be introduced to all types of tribes in India.
         Then I visited Lalit Kala Academy (New Delhi) where I found a libery on Art, crft, Literature and other cultural books. And I found lots of books that has a connection that I saw in the DCHM. also there was an exibition on modern art.
         On the very next Day I visited Delhi Haat (New Delhi) , there was a art and craft exibition covering Indo-Iranian cultural.
After having looked at so many artforms and crafts, I realized that this exhibition fascinated me the most. I knew what I wanted to research on. So this blog is about the Chittara folk art.






      Chittras are wall paintings, traditionally done by the deewaru people of Maland (Karanataka)


No comments:

Post a Comment